Thursday 4 October 2012

Pumpkin Spice Playdough-Starbucks Inspired.

Since I have been in the childcare field for several years, I am no stranger to homemade playdough.

You get kind of tired of putting out the money for the playdough brand stuff after a while-especially when you see how many different ways there are to make the stuff your self. Maybe I stand alone. But I love making playdough.

I have not always felt this way.

Early in my playdough making days-I had alot of epic fails. I had one batch that remained a gooey liquid no matter how much I stirred it. I've also made playdough to go on to think it's perfect and 3 days later it has gone moldy, or slimy.

I have however narrowed down my favorite recipe to a few. I use them on rotation but they are mostly the same.

We are talking a lot about our senses in our class right now. How things feel. How they sound, etc. I wanted to give the kids something to smell.

While enjoying my pumpkin spice latte the other day at starbucks, it dawned on me to make a fall scented playdough. The kids love the playdough center, why not give them something wonderful to smell while there? Starbucks gets my creative juices flowing.

So I took the go-to playdough recipe, and I added some pumpkin spices, and orange food colouring.

It's going to get eaten. I just know it.

THE RECIPE:


1 cup of flour
1/2 cup of salt
1 cup of water
1 tablespoon of olive oil
1 tablespoon of cream of tartar
food colouring (whatever colour you are wanting)

Then I added 1 tablespoon of pumpkin pie spices

Put this all together in a pot on the stove-turn it on medium heat and stir CONSTANTLY until it forms a ball. Then scrape it all out onto a cutting board and knead it with your hands until it is soft with no lumps.


DONE . This is the final product if you are me!

 
My own kids were home at the time I made the pumpkin spice playdough-and of course wanted to try it out!
 
 
 
 
 


1 comment:

  1. I love making this play-doh every fall. It smells delicious! =)

    Heather
    Heather's Heart

    ReplyDelete