Thursday 22 November 2012

So About Those Math Bins....

Alright. I got tremendous response in regards to the math bins. I got many emails saying 'Rah, Rah we toot the math bin horn too!' and 1 email that said 'you blow. and so do the math bins'.

Ha. Well those were my words but you get my drift? Lots of positive. 1 negative. That's okay. I respect a different opinion, and I welcome your opinions.

I did have many people ask if I could post about some of the different bins we do. So I will.


This was one of the child directed bins. There were materials and numeral papers in the basket-they decorated their numbers. Very hands on. They loved it. The materials were ones that we didn't have in our art center at that point in time, so they were exciting and fresh!

 
This was a memory game. Number concentration if you will.
 
This was the other child directed bin that week. So we had the Grab A Handful bin, the memory bin, the decorate your number bin, and the other teacher directed bin was a trace the hands or paint the hands bin. Each child traced or painted their hands onto paper, and then had to stick one sticker on for each finger. Ta-Da! Math Bins made easy and engaging.
 
 
This week-our Math focus is Patterning. We are trying to assess whether or not the children can copy, create, extend and ID a pattern. It is going well! These math bins are a huge teaching tool for me. As in-I am learning so much from them and am so glad my new teaching partner brought this to the table.
 
 
About patterns--
 
 
This is the teacher directed bin that I am using to assess this week. The children are using dyed pasta to create pasta pattern necklaces. This is going over really well. I`m not sure who wouldn`t want to make a necklace. Not me.
 
 
There are obviously 3 more bins this week-but I haven't taken pictures of them yet. I`ll get around to it.
 
 
BTW. Do you all know how to dye pasta or riceÉ (and while you`re at it, do you know how to shut off the french on my laptopÉ, because I am really tired of seeing that É instead of a question mark).
 
 
FYI
 
 
I did not colour that pasta. My teacher did. I am not sure how she did hers, I think I heard her say vinegar but will check on that. I have always done mine like so:
 
 
bunch of pasta or rice in a ziploc bag.
2 tablespoons of food colouring.
1 tablespoon of rubbing alcohol.
 
 
Shake that bag up. Lay it out on wax paper, on a cookie sheet to dry (the rubbing alcohol helps speed this process along), and VOILA! coloured pasta or rice, and the experience I have had with this recipe-the colour never bleeds onto skin or clothes! Yay!
 
 
Chat Soon :)


4 comments:

  1. Love it! I just nominated you for the Liebster Award! Check out my blog for more details!! :0)

    Faith
    Kindergarten Faith

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm new to blogging too and your newest follower! :)
    I nominated you for the Liebster blog award ~ You can get more info from my blog:
    http://pinkpolkadotsandprek.blogspot.com/2012/11/liebster-blog-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm also nominating you for the Liebster Award! Check out www.clubkindergarten.com for more info! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am nominating you for the Liebster Award! Check out my blog for more info:

    mrshillsheroes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete